Many dog owners are switching their pets to diets made of homemade dog food to keep their dogs in prime health. Although veterinarians agree preservatives and low-quality ingredients in store-bought dog food are troubling, they advise owners to consult a pet nutritionist before making a permanent switch. Dogs have different nutritional requirements than we do and some foods that are healthy for us to eat may even harm them.
Even if you don’t want to switch your furry friend to a homemade dog food diet, trying a new recipe here and there may be a treat and a good way to show them so love. This Thanksgiving, try your hand as a doggy chef and whip up a batch of homemade dog food to mix in with Fido’s usual kibbles.
Homemade Dog Food Recipe
Since it’s Thanksgiving, celebrate with your whole family, down to the most hairy and slobbery member by cooking up some homemade dog food. This recipe incorporates ground turkey and veggies. It’s sure to have your whole family drooling.
What You’ll Need:
- 1 ½ Cups Brown Rice
- 1 Tbs Olive Oil
- 3 Pounds Ground Turkey
- 3 Cups Baby Chopped Baby Spinach
- 2 Shredded Carrots
- 1 Shredded Zuchini
- ½ Cup Peas
Making the Thanksgiving Homemade Dog Food Recipe:
- Cook rice in a separate pan and don’t worry about overcooking it. Overcooked rice is easier for dogs to digest. If you don’t want to use grains, substitute with a starch like potato, squash, or some festive pumpkin.
- Heat the olive oil in a pot and brown the turkey.
- Mix in remaining ingredients, including the rice, and cook until soft.
- Make sure it’s completely cool. If your pet is not used to homemade dog food, mix it in with their usual food to avoid an upset stomach, and let them indulge.
Store any remaining food in an airtight container for up to five days. You will be your dog’s favorite human for the rest of the week!
Homemade Dog Treat Recipe
Turkey is a treat for humans and canines alike during the holiday, but let’s be honest our stomach won’t be satisfied this Thanksgiving until our sweet tooth is. This recipe is a sweet treat you can bake up and give to your doggy friend after they’ve devoured their homemade dog food turkey dinner.
What You’ll Need:
- 2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 ½ Tsp Baking Powder
- ⅓ Cup Peanut Butter
- 1 Cup Hot Water
- 1 Egg
Making Homemade Dog Treats
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and baking powder.
- Use another bowl to beat the peanut butter, egg, and hot water together.
- Slowly combine wet ingredients with the flour and baking powder.
- Roll out on your counter and cut into fun shapes using cookie cutters.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, for easy clean up, then bake for 20 minutes.
Enjoy the Holidays With Your Pet
The best way to end a day after cooking, eating, and family is to curl up on the couch with man’s best friend, turn on the television, and close your eyes for an after dinner snooze. If you’re planning on traveling this Thanksgiving and can’t take your dog with you, sign up for Let’s Join Paws so your canine can celebrate the holiday with a caregiver!